Re: Strange pager appearance

On Mon, 2017-03-20 at 11:57 +0100, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> On Monday, 20 March 2017 11:53:51 CET Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > My pager panel has suddenly acquired twin panels. IOW each panel
> > representing a desktop is now side-by-side with another empty panel.
> > The effect is purely visual, i.e. each double-size panel behaves as the
> > previous one did, except it has empty space to the right.
> >
> > My last update to Plasma was on Friday, but I've logged out and in
> > again since then without this happening until now.
> >
> > I attach a small screenshot to illustrate.
>
> Interesting, the screenshot looks like when you have a secondary monitor set
> "on the right" of the one you are using.

That's it! To explain: I have only one physical monitor, but it's connected twice, once to the internal GPU (Intel) and once to an Nvidia card which is for a Windows VM passthrough (i.e. the VM has direct access to the Nvidia card without mediation from Linux). Passthrough only works when the nvidia module is not loaded (the second GPU cannot be shared between host and guest), and this was the case before I rebooted, but then on reboot the akmod script has reinstalled it. The result is that Linux is seeing both connections and logically assuming they are distinct monitors.

Looks like I'll have to remove the akmod stuff completely to stop this
happening.

Good catch, thanks.

poc