Re: Fwd: how to get rid of powerdevil with 5.8

Reindl Harald wrote:
> powerdevil even takes control over the powerbutton which is normally
> caught by acpid.service and as long the kernel is not dead leads in a
> controlled and clean shutdown

This is a feature. It allows configurable actions that can be set in System
Settings. If Plasma were not to do this, systemd would handle the button and
perform one of the following non-interactive actions:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Power_management#ACPI_events
The default there is to do a shutdown. The old acpid.service is deprecated
and no longer used.

You may want to configure these settings anyway, because, as you found out,
they are relevant when Plasma is not running, e.g., in SDDM.

Within Plasma, the default for the configurable action, as you found out, is
indeed bringing up the logout dialog:

> the current behavior that KDE compontents taking over control explains
> that some users in case of troubles (several threads) had to hard power
> off their machines
>
> without running Plasma the power button works as expected
>
> when running Plasma it brings the "shutdown, hibernate, logout,
> poweroff" stuff where recently other options than "logout" are eneabled
> and frankly "shutdown" even works - no user but me on my machines is
> supoosed to reboot/shutdown them except ermegency which is the
> power-button for - just because it makes no sense to do on a homeserver
> and also makes no sense on a workstatiuon which is supposed to get
> rsynced with the home-machine from a VT aka "synch-machine.sh push &&
> poweroff"

The dialog when pushing the power button has always included those options
by default. They are available if and only if the current user is allowed to
power off the machine, also with direct "systemctl poweroff". Whether that
is the case is configured through systemd PolicyKit policies. Plasma only
offers what systemd allows the user to do anyway.

And I do not understand what you really want. You are complaining that
Plasma allows a shutdown from the dialog, but when systemd performs a
shutdown directly, you say "the power button works as expected". Do you now
want shutdown to be allowed or not?

> can the linux community please stop starting more and more crap on
> demand which can't be clearly masked/disabled?

See above.

I hope this helps,
        Kevin Kofler