Re: Printer recommendations

On 17/10/16 23:07, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Thank you, Kevin, I found your post very helpful.
I wasn't aware of the relation of Gutenprint to CUPS,

To be clear, all the modern printer drivers for GNU/Linux are CUPS drivers,
not just Gutenprint. CUPS has become the de-facto standard for printing,
SANE for scanning. Even the proprietary drivers normally plug into CUPS
resp. SANE.

or of the wide-ranging scope of hplip.

Yes, HPLIP is more than just a printer driver. While HPLIP does not try to
support non-printer devices (with the exception of 2 ScanJet scanner models,
both requiring a proprietary "plugin"), it does try to support all
functionality of the HP multi-function printers, they even include a tool
for faxing (hp-fax). And unfortunately, HPLIP also serves as a shell for
proprietary driver blobs (in the form of a "plugin").

        Kevin Kofler

Been using HP printers after issues with both Epson and Lexmark in the past.

Purchased a HP Laserjet 475dn a few years ago and have not looked back. We use these printers at work and have a couple of the older models as well.

Duplex printing. Optional extra paper drawer. Duplex scanning as well (This took me by surprise).

Scanning works easy in the HP plugin and is installed by the HP Device manager.

Also found it is cheaper to purchase replacement laser toner from HP direct when it is on sale. Cheaper than any place I have seen.

My daughter purchased a Samsung for herself and was surprised that when she plugged it in, Fedora automatically detected it and asked if she wanted to print a test page. Scanning was the only issue she has run into as well.

Robin