Re: Printer recommendations

Hi!

On myself I've had best experience with a Canon product on both RH derived and "debioid" Linux systems for meantime about one and a half year:

It was a pretty good offer of a computer shop in my country (Austria) having me had purchase a piece of demonstration ware still under guarantee, an I-sensys LBP7100Cn for 120 $ only. Wonderful machine!

The most over reason of that low price might have been that printer was one of the last Canon models unconditionally basing on Canon's proprietary UFRII printer language and thus requiring a special driver, whereas later Canon products allow to work on HP or PS printing data , too. However, the excellent Linux drivers (consisting of a "cndvcups-common" and a "cndrvcups-ufr2lt" each) bundled as .deb and .rpm packages together are shipped on CD with the printer, and you can download newer versions from Canon servers in USA, UK and Australia. I've tried them out with a lot of Debian and RH based distros and therein never seen any serious difficulties but sometimes on Debian rather than Ubuntu having had to add one to three dependencies manually. (On RH derived distros, Yum and Dnf will solve it automatically!) I always work on KDE Plasma whereon the printer recognition now seems to act perfectly.

May be somewhere you can find one for you that's similarly cheap,

be the Ancients with ye,

Geri Goetzhaber