Re: Minor Update Annoyance

On Mon, 2016-09-19 at 13:48 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
> >
> > OK....  I wasn't thinking and I updated my system from "Software Updates"
> > on the systray so, unfortunately, I don't know if ksensors was updated.
>
> It was: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?packages=ksensors
>
> I finally fixed the long-broken autostart.
>

> > But, I just checked and found my fully updated laptop didn't have
> > ksensors installed.  I logged out and then installed it via a terminal
> > session.  Sure enough, when I logged in again ksenors was started.
> >
> > IMHO, a package being installed or updated shouldn't trigger its usage by
> > every user that may login.
>
> KSensors is not the only package designed to autostart by default. This is
> just how this kind of tool works.
>
> IMHO, if you don't want KSensors, you should just uninstall it. You probably
> also do not want the kdelibs3 stack (qt3, arts, kdelibs3) it drags in,
> unless you also use other legacy applications that need it. Or do you really
> want a whole compatibility library stack for something you do not even use?
>

> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >
> > Agreed. Worth a BZ I think.
>
> No, please not! It will be closed as NOTABUG. The package is working as
> designed (and as it had been set up since its introduction in 2003 – I only
> fixed a bug!).

No problem. However I don't think the right way to avoid autostarting a
tool is to uninstall it. That just makes no sense to me. Sometimes I
may want it and other times not.

Furthermore, the config dialog currently shows a tick box for
Autostart, which is *deselected* (despite the fact that it does
autostart). What's that about?

poc