Re: panel tooltips

On 11/29/2015 06:29 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Glenn Holmer wrote:
>> I'm tired of fighting with Plasma 5. I'm reaching the point
>> where I just want to smack it with that hammer and hope it will do
>> something vaguely close to what I have in mind.
>
> Tooltips work for me exactly as they are meant to -
> they do not linger when I move away from a panel icon.
> Of course that does not show that they work properly for others.
> But it does suggest that there is probably a problem that can be solved.
>
> Nobody in this thread has described precisely their issue with tooltips.
> Do they actually interfere with your computer usage,
> or are they just something you dislike?

For the most part, I just find them distracting and annoying. I don't
need tooltips on the launchers or the task bar because the icons already
tell me the story. Even the pager (I use eight virtual desktops) doesn't
need them if you have icons turned on there. So if I trigger them
accidentally (e.g. moving the mouse to the bottom of the window to
cancel a run in NetBeans), they just get in the way.

I do agree with Sudhir's comment about hammer vs scissors, though; I
would have liked to keep the tooltips on the clock and weather widgets.

I don't generally find that they stay visible for too long, although I
have had that experience with the clock (where I had to mouse back over
it and then away again to make it disappear).

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)