Re: This is getting annoying

On 11/20/15 16:36, Fredy Neeser wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote on 20.11.2015 06:07:07:
>
>> OK....  So I my F22 system is fully updated with the plasma, qt5,
>> and kf5 packages.
>>
>> My sessions are restarted from a saved session which consists of
>> just a konsole window
>> with 3 tabs.  Upon login everything seems fine.  I can move the
>> mouse, I can issue
>> commands in any konsole tab.
>>
>> Then as soon as I launch something, such at Thunderbird, one of two
>> things will occur.  Either
>>
>> A.  Kwin will crash
>>
>> or
>>
>> B.  The screen will semi-freeze.  I can move the mouse around but
>> the launched process
>> will not appear and I can no longer type in the konsole.  I also
>> cannot bring switch to a
>> VT as it seem the keyboard is not being recognized.  I have to ssh
>> in and issue a "killall
>> -9 drkonqi".
> Not sure what you mean by "my sessions are restarted from a
> saved session", but you could try and see if your Plasma 5.4.3
> is working with a newly created user.  If successful, try to
> hide away the KDE configuration of your existing user to a
> safe place.

See "System Settings-->Workspace-->Startup and Shutdown-->Desktop Session" and the "On
Login" section.

I already blew away all my settings and have started from scratch.  See the "Fedora 22
updates for KDE Plasma 5.4.3 and KDE Frameworks 5.16.0" thread.
> In my case, Plasma 5.4.3 did not like my old KDE configuration
> (I don't know which part) -- I only got a stable desktop after
> doing a KDE config clean sweep.

My current user is pretty much a "new user" after blowing away my configs.  If the minimal
changes result in this behavior I'm disappointed.

> Another idea is to install the kdebugsettings package from
> updates-testing (I believe), run the kdebugsettings app and
> remove the "global disable" rule.  Then have a look at the
> errors in ~/.xsession-errors after login.

You mean the custom rule "*.debug=false"?

I guess I can try that.  Not sure how valuable the information in that file will be to
me.  :-)

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.