Re: Plasma 5 as a daily driver?

On 11/10/2015 01:30 AM, P. Gueckel wrote:
Ian Pilcher wrote:

I find myself wondering if other people are really
using Plasma 5 as a "daily driver"...
It's a totally different world where I live :-) I've
been using Plasma 5 since the beta was released.
Excellent experience!

I had pretty much the same story to tell for Fedora 22. Apart from occasional crashes on exit, plasma was working fine for me.

Then I installed Fedora 23 - not an upgrade, but a clean install from the KDE live DVD, formatting over the existing partitions. And KDE was unusable. It was not unusable because of some missing feature, but it would hang whenever I clicked on a partition in places panel in Dolphin, if I started Firefox,
or sometimes for no apparent reason. 100% reproducible.

Doing any of the above things would make the desktop hang (first the mouse movement gets affected then everything freezes). Switching to another VT (by Ctrl+Alt+Fx)
doesn't work and the only way out was a hard reboot.

I believe its a problem with NVidia, but I am unable to see why nouveau should have a problem. NVidia binary drivers reportedly does not support the pre-release version of Xorg server (v1.18) that is shipped with Fedora 23. But how come nouveau doesn't work?

I installed LXQt, but there also, starting any KDE application or LibreOffice caused the same issues.

The only way out was to downgrade Xorg to 1.17 and then install nvidia binary drivers from RPMFusion (perhaps nouveau would've worked too, but I'm not sure).

Anyway, the bottom line is that KDE Fedora 23 spin was unusable out of the box. This was the first time I cursed KDE. Not even during KDE 4.0 things were this bad.

PS: While composing this email, I did 'dnf list installed "*xorg*"' and it didn't list the expected packages. It seems the 'exclude' set is honoured for even listing the installed files.

Syam