Re: New default web browser on KDE Spin

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
>> This can be disabled, we can ship without this feature.
>
> We (KDE SIG) can't, because Firefox is not maintained by us. This is another
> issue with it, we have no control whatsoever over its packaging. It is not
> even open to provenpackager! (The Mozilla stack is the ONLY set of packages
> not open to provenpackager in all of Fedora, because of the trademark
> nonsense.)

So please give your new users the choice, they might not know how easy
it is to install Firefox, and they will not install it in the live
session.

>> And it IS a feature, to protect from malicious addons.
>
> Just like locking you into only installing M$ software "protects" you from
> malicious software. That doesn't mean it is compatible with Free Software.
> (It is obviously not.)

For 99% of users it is, for the rest, they can disable it. Or they can
submit the addon Mozilla Store.

>> There is some integration, I used it in openSUSE and in Tanglu, were
>> using multiple repos but I think the final is here:
>> https://github.com/plasmazilla
>
> That integration is not packaged in Fedora and will likely never be, because
> of the maintainership and trademark situation. So this is not an option for
> us.
Maintainership and Trademark? for whom? It is used in openSUSE,
Manjaro, Netrunner, Tanglu, and I think Kubuntu.