Re: New default web browser on KDE Spin

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mustafa Muhammad composed on 2015-07-27 09:32 (UTC+0300):
>
>> Felix Miata wrote:
>
>>> So Konq matches Safari rather than Chrom*. Big deal. HTML5 is a moving
>>> target, in constant development, with as yet no final spec.
>
>> HTML5 reached its final spec 9 months ago.
>> http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/html5-specification-finalized-squabbling-over-who-writes-the-specs-continues/
>
> Looking only at http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/ that is an easily reached
> conclusion. However on a more in depth study of all the following
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/CR/
> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/
> http://html.spec.whatwg.org/
>
> one might reach a different conclusion, particularly after reading ...master/
> (HTML5.1), and then the following:
>
> "Work on evolutions of this specification proceeds at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html/. The HTML5 Recommendation represents a milestone
> in the development of HTML but far from being the end of the road and
> improvements are already well under way."
>                                         http://www.w3.org/TR/html/
>
> One conclusion might be that not only is HTML5 not complete, but also that it
> may never be complete.

Of course it will continue evolving, everything is evolving, that's
why we got 3 then 4 then 5, maybe the standard recommendation rate
will be higher (because of minor versions to fix or evolve the major
version)

As others pointed previously, there is almost no development upstream
for Konqueror and Rekonq, compare this to Firefox.

Web browsers should support the latest HTML standard, this is the
purpose of a web browser.

If a browser is slower than the competition, doesn't support
extensions, and doesn't support latest HTML standards, being a KDE
project doesn't make it the best browser.

I think the least we can do is to ship Firefox, even if Konqueror
stays the default (which I think very bad default)

Mustafa Muhamad

P.S. I tried opening Youtube in Konqueror and the video did not play,
how do you use Youtube? Flash?