Re: Plasma 5 - Where have all the screensavers gone

On 2015-04-14 14:28, Lukáš Tinkl wrote:
Dne 14.4.2015 v 21:12 Glenn Holmer napsal(a):
On 04/14/2015 09:12 AM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
On Tuesday 14 of April 2015 17:02:56 Eli Wapniarski wrote:
In Plasma 5... Where haveall the screensavers gone????

They would be screen lockers, and probably waiting for people to rewrite them
using the new infrastructure. See here (all comments) for some background:
https://plus.google.com/+SasaRakezic/posts/bcyNtUwHZBq
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=124413

That's just lame. Because screensavers don't fulfill a useful function,
they should be consigned to an ignominious death? Let's do the same with
all music, art, and literature! Nothing frivolous shall remain! We must
all be serious, very serious!

There's a good reason why they're gone mainly because... well they
aren't really saving anything. Back in the days when everybody had TFT
monitors, screensavers would actually prevent the physical damage from
literally burning a still image into the monitor's matrix. These days
with the LCD displays, they are doing exactly the opposite - keep the PC
awake and in turn preventing it from entering a "sleep" state,
effectively wasting your power and battery.

I suggest to read the fine article at wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screensaver

Privacy.

I like a screensaver to lock and hide my screen. Where I work, screen locks are mandated. If I don't have one, I will be forced to use Windows. It needs to be automatic and hide the information on the screen.

I read the Wikipedia article and it points to Security as a reason for screensavers.

At home it keeps little kids from opening hundereds of tabs or windows as one of my kids did when they were younger. I think the count was about 272 windows in Firefox.

So they do serve a purpose. If not screensavers in F22/KDE, I guess I won't be going to F22 until it is sorted out.

Robin