Re: KMail under CentOS

Am 06.04.2015 um 01:02 schrieb Timothy Murphy:
Reindl Harald wrote:

why would one need a graphical UI on a server to add folders via IMAP?
just add the folder on the IMAP server, subsribe to it and you are done

Simply because I'm not sure exactly what one has to do.
When you say "subscribe to it", do you mean
'add to the file "subscriptions" in ~/Maildir/'?
I'm never quite sure if dovecot.index, etc, will automatically update

don't mangle around on the server at all

that's what IMAP is for - no idea what your problem is but your
questions are for sure not the solution to any problem at all

Surely questions are not usually the solution to a problem.
Perhaps answering my question might help.

I found both of these completely useless.
You would have to specify which response you are referring to
if you are really trying to help.
I looked at the first 10 responses to the first google query,
and none of them referred to KMail at all.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "mangle around on the server"

directly on the server

especially as your suggestion was to "add the folder on the IMAP server".

via IMAP

Just to repeat my query: one cannot add a top-level folder
in the current version of KMail, as one could in some older versions

than just connect with *whatever* IMAP client from your workstation to your account and add it with that but why in the world would anybody install a graphical mail cient on a server for just add a folder

if someone needs a mail-client on a server: http://roundcube.net/ whcihs *still is using IMAP* and don't touch files and folders on a mailserver directly for good reasons

to be honest: the better question is why not throw away kmail at all if it is lacking such basic functionality? the last time i tried using it on a livecd it displayed mails multiple times and unlickly by remove the appearant copies it killed also the real messages

If I simply add a folder to ~/Maildir/ on my server
it does not appear in KMail on my laptop

hence i said: "don't mangle around on the server"