Re: criterion update: add "switch user" to Shutdown, reboot, logout

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 15:43:01 +0100, Dan Mossor <danofsatx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 02/02/2015 09:48 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Matthias Clasen wrote:
Testing it is fine of course, but I don't really think we should block
on this. Also worth considering: user switching has never worked 100%
reliably, so increased qa focus may just uncover old heisenbugs, and
turn them into blocking issues.

Maybe for GNOME it hasn't. For KDE, using KDM or SDDM, user switching has
always just worked. Nowadays, it should just work with GDM too, but of
course it can be subject to bugs and undocumented behavior changes in GDM
(which wouldn't be a first).

IMHO, adding user switching to the blocker criteria is a good idea. Bugs in user switching can easily lead to data loss, either directly (e.g., if user
switching crashes the machine) or indirectly (e.g., if, due to user
switching not working, somebody just logs the other account off without
caring about running processes, or even hits the power or reset button if
the session is locked).

         Kevin Kofler

+1 - Agreed, or whatever. Since switching to KDE, I've not had _any_ issues with user switching in KDM or SDDM. You are correct in stating that it doesn't work in GNOME. This is one of the reasons I use KDE (among many other) - my family shares a computer, and we switch users all day; this feature was one thing we used heavily on Windows and was a requirement before I introduced Fedora to them.

With all that said, I feel adding user switching to the blocker criteria is a logical step - this is 2015. It has worked on Windows since Windows Vista, circa 2003. I use it at home, and I use it at work as an administrator to fix problems for my users without needing to log them out.

Just because it doesn't work on GNOME isn't a valid reason not to test it and block on it if it is a feature that is used and depended on.

Well, you don't get user switching (and the kickoff item) every time something's messed up with your PAM session. This is not exclusive to GDM though, SDDM suffered from this a lot too in past. Changing something in PAM, PAM configs or the DMs can bring the problem back.
Anyway I agree this should be tested.