Re: apper - yum - dnf a connection?

Ed Greshko wrote:

> Running F20/KDE.  When the apper notification appears in the task bar I
> will often run yum from a terminal session to install the updates instead
> of clicking on the "install" button.  Shortly after yum is complete the
> apper notification goes away.
>
> Today, instead of running yum I ran dnf.  The apper notification did not
> clear afterwards after waiting a few minutes.  Unfortunately at the time I
> did not think to wait longer, or time it, and I clicked on "check for
> updates" and after a short time the apper notification cleared.
>
> So my question is....  Is there some notification process going on between
> yum and apper that isn't implemented between dnf and apper?  Or am I just
> a victim of an over active imagination?

Yes,

$ rpm -qi PackageKit-yum-plugin
Name        : PackageKit-yum-plugin
Summary     : Tell PackageKit to check for updates when yum exits
Description :
PackageKit-yum-plugin tells PackageKit to check for updates when yum exits.
This way, if you run 'yum update' and install all available updates,
PackageKit will almost instantly update itself to reflect this.