Re: When it comes to upgrading

On 03/30/14 20:54, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 30/03/14 12:42, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> c. marlow wrote:
>>> That is funny ED, its name FEDUP... So I guess in KDE, would that still be
>>> MUON? or is that a Kubuntu thing? Thats what i run now to get updates to
>>> packages, and Kernel here in Kubuntu 12.04 ?
>>
>> No, we use Apper (formerly known as KPackageKit, it's a PackageKit frontend)
>> for that.
>> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Apper?content=84745
>> It is installed by default on the KDE spin.
>>
>> FedUp is only used for upgrades to a new release of Fedora.
>>
>>          Kevin Kofler

Just a note....  I think Felix is/was right in that things are/did get a bit muddled between upgrade and update.  I know I was sticking with upgrade since the OP did ask if he had to "reformat" and that didn't fit with updates.  :-)

> In the past I have used synaptic, smart, yum, yumex in various updates within Fedora/KDE.  I just tried Apper, which seems to have updated several packages /without/ provision of the root password; it also said it hadn't performed a cleanup afterwards.

AFAIK, if you're in the "wheel" group apper won't ask for the root password.  I can't recall when that wasn't the case.

> The root password change seems to have been around for some time; it surprised me.  I note that F20 also has DNF as an alternative to yum.
>
> 'We use Apper'?   That seems a bit sweeping.

I don't find it a sweeping statement.  When I run KDE only systems it is "apper" that pops up on the systray to inform of available updates and what I use to perform the updates.  Yes, other tools are available....but the new user is most likely to go with what is thrown at them.

Of course there are always more ways to perform the same task.  I just hope that giving more options and opinions as to which is "best" won't drive the OP to fear change.  :-)

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts