fear and loathing on the KDE5 trail (was: Discontinued in 4.12?)

On Sat, Dec 21, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Orcan Ogetbil <oget.fedora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Uh oh. I sense a potential disturbance in the force. I hope the 4to5
> transition experience in Fedora won't be as adventurous as the 3to4
> was.

Nope.  There will be lots of changes under the hood, but not so much
in the way of user-visible changes.

The big ticket item is splitting out the big old monolithic kdelibs
into 57 separate libraries that  each do one thing and one thing well.
 That effort recently hit a major milestone of actually separating out
into different git repositories.  [1]

There is some work to be done for developers, but much less work is
required than the Qt/KDE3->4 transition.  I've been watching the
commits for porting Kate to KDE5 fly by my e-mail and it's amazing how
quickly they got Kate & KWrite up and running on KDE5. [2]

The only thing you may notice is some of those under the hood changes
will result in greater visual consistency.  Right now everything's a
grab bag of various theming and GUI implementation.  In KDE5 the plan
is to render everything in the workspace the same way using the same
theming framework, so those jarring differences between different
components of the desktop will become a thing of the past. [3]

Also, disk and memory use will slightly improve for us KDE users, but
vastly improve for those folks using other environments, since instead
of a big old kdelibs they'll just need the libraries the app they want
uses.  So soon your GNOME-using friends will have no excuse not to try
out awesome KDE app foo.  ;-)

Finally, you didn't say it, but before anyone else does—a lot of
people seem to be worried that KDE is suddenly going to go all
touch-friendly and forget the desktop.  This is not the case.  As one
of the KDE core developers so elegantly puts:

"...we do not believe in the 'one interface that runs on both your
desktop and your tablet'. We believe in code reuse, in component-reuse
(and, where beneficial, drop-in-replacement), compatibility and
interoperability; but we also believe that a tablet interface and a
desktop interface are not, and should not, be the same thing. The use
cases and form factors are just too different.

"We have no plans of bastardizing Plasma Desktop into a watered-down
attempt at a tablet interface that also sort-of-makes-sense on a
laptop. We feel this only produces interfaces that perform OK but not
great on either kind of device. We want interfaces that work great on
each sort of device." [4]

So instead, KDE 5 will provide the ability to switch between various
Plasma shells instantly, even automatically when triggered by the
appearance of certain devices.  You will be able to have a tablet with
an awesome Plasma Active touch-based interface, then plug a keyboard
and mouse into it and instantly get the full-featured Plasma desktop
you know and love.  (And you'll still be able to turn that off and get
the desktop in tablet mode or Active in laptop mode if that's your
thing.  KDE's legendary configurability isn't going anywhere either.)

There's really nothing to worry about.  :-)

-T.C.

[1] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=138738562930062&w=2
[2] http://kate-editor.org/2013/12/08/kate-on-kde-frameworks-5/
[3] http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2011/05/qt5-kde5.html