Re: Stopping kscreen service starting

On 17/12/13 16:06, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2013-12-17 12:31 (GMT) Roderick Johnstone composed:

I need to stop the kscreen kded module running for all my users becuase
it interacts badly with x2go.

I've achieved this by making a file /etc/kde/kdedrc with contents:

[Module-kscreen]
autoload=false

This seems to work fine for the first login of x2go. (I'm using a new
testing account). I confirmed that the kscreen service in system
settings -> Startup and Shutdown -> Service manager shows kscreen2 not
running.

However, the Use checkbox is ticked for the kscreen2 service, and on the
next login the kscreen2 service is running and messing up my x2go
session.

~/.kde/share/config/kdedrc now contains:

[$Version]
update_info=kded.upd:kde3.0

[Module-kscreen]
autoload=true

[Module-randrmonitor]
autoload=false

Can anyone explain please why the kscreen2 service is being switched
back on and how I can prevent this from happening?

It's not always easy figuring out where global KDE config changes
belong. Moving your /etc/kde/kdedrc to /etc/kde/share/config/kdedrc
should work. Manually changing to autoload=false in individual users'
kdedrc files should work too if you do it while KDE is not running. I
would expect chmod a-x /usr/lib/kde4/plugins/kscreen to work as well,
but haven't tried it.

If you can't get autoload=false to stick, file an upstream bug and set
owner to afiestas@xxxxxxx

Felix

Thanks for the pointers.

Unfortunately moving the kdedrc to /etc/kde/share/config or /usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/ didnt help.

Surprisingly, removing execute permissions from /usr/lib64/kde4/plugins/kscreen/KSC_Fake.so and /usr/lib64/kde4/plugins/kscreen/KSC_XRandR.so also didnt help!

However, doing a chmod a-rx /usr/lib64/kde4/plugins/kscreen does seem to have reliably stopped the kscreen service starting.

I have a mechanism to make sure this change is not overwritten by updates so I think the problem is solved.

I'm never sure whether post a bug report like this one first to the Redhat BZ or go straight to KDE, or do both. Will do something in the morning though.

Many thanks for your help.

Roderick