Re: 4.11.1 / kopete / facebookchat

sadly 4.1..2 suffers the same problem...........

Am 19.09.2013 10:36, schrieb Daniel Vrátil:
> On Wednesday 18 of September 2013 20:35:38 Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>
>>> Like what?
>>
>> maybe this has changed in F19
>>
>> 52 MB is still far too much for a messenger given that
>> Apache/PHP does fit in this space and is much more complex
>>
>> the last time i tried it because kopete for now does not support
>> filetransfers i was unable to connect to facebookchat
>
> That might have been because of Facebook migrating to new servers - many
> people had problems. Now it works again.

while at the same time kopete worked?

i do not need a *multi* protocol messenger when i
need for each service a different one

>> or our own jabber  server
>
> That's weird. Maybe you need to disable SSL, or enable "Ignore SSL errors"?

i do not take a application serious which doe snot ask in case
of a self-signed certificate like browsers and mail clients
do over decades nor do i buy certificates for LAN services

>> and the fact that it does not minimize to systray
>> and close the contact list doe snot behave like kopete makes it
>> unuseable for me
>
> If the concern is about staying online, when KTp contactlist is closed you are
> /not/ disconnected. The connection is maintained by Telepathy in the
> background.
>
> You can also add "Presence Applet" to systray, which will show your presence
> (status), allows to change it via popup menu and when you left-click the
> applet, it will open the contact list (so you get effectively the same behavior
> as with Kopete). Additionally there's a Plasma applet with contact list that
> can be nicely embedded into the panel so you don't even need to open a new
> window.

a desktop application tehse days needs proper usability
out-of-the-box and not force the user to search manually
for plasma addons

>> with what i could libe is kopete using telepathy backends
>> and not change the user interface/behaviour with only really
>> needed dependencies (gnupnp is nothing i want on my systems)
>
> Not sure how that would help - most of the 52MB is taken by Telepathy and it's
> dependencies. KTp itself is quite small (and you can uninstall parts you don't
> need).
>
> Looking at the dependencies, it's a bit unfortunate that ktp-accounts-kcm
> pulls in so many Telepathy backends - most people could probably do just with
> telepathy-gabble (XMPP)...

exactly that is my point

all these sub-packages are completly nonsense as long there are
endless dependency chains pulling them all

> Also please note that Kopete is considered unmaintained (although there were a
> few patches in 4.11) and it's future (longterm) is unclear

i am aware of this and it makes me very unhappy that the one
mesenger with a perfect UI and only missing some features
like video-chat is dying and the other is no useable replacement
for now nor that i want the GNOME alternatives on my system

if i could i would do "yum remove \*gtk\*"