Migrating user accounts from F14 to F17

Everyone:

I hadn't been paying close enough attention, obviously. Turns out that sometime between F14 and F17, user accounts are supposed to have UIDs of 1000 or higher. But all mine were in the 500s.

Now, I created them all right. I gave them legitimate Unix names. I can even make Samba users out of some of them. But I can't see them in the Users and Groups section. Nor could I make them admins in the "Create User" dialog. I had to create another user, a dummy user, just to have someone with admin privileges.

What is the most elegant solution? Must I create all new accounts and migrate the contents of my home directories from one user to another? (And do a recursive chown on all of them as I work?) Or is there another way to achieve the goal of having user accounts with decent UIDs? (Short of setting up another box, that is. And even that is problematic: I can't seem to get Samba to work properly as a server, though I made it work well enough as a client.)

Temlakos