Updating Amarok's database

When I rip a CD I want to add the contents to Amarok's database. It
would appear that the way to do this is by rescanning the entire system.

1) Is this true? Is there no way to simply add the newly-ripped material
without rescanning everything?

2) Even if it is true, it simply doesn't work. I can visit the new
folder via the Files view, and Amarok duly sees it, but on returning to
the Local Music view, nothing. The problem is that I want to add the new
stuff to my media player (a Galaxy Nexus), but the GN is only visible in
the Local Music view, not the Files view, so there's no way to achieve
this. Very frustrating.

<rant>
I used to like Amarok back in the KDE 3 days. I have no wish to return
to KDE 3, but I'm afraid Amarok got too ambitious and buggy. For one
thing, I find the UI really quite hard to understand, so the above
problems might just be PEBKAC.
</rant>

poc