Re: KMail2

On Tuesday 31 January 2012 12:53:41 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Is anybody using KMail2, or has everyone given up on it?

I'm still using it --- you're not alone. :-)

> I've asked several questions about it,
> eg I cannot create top-level folders,

I can only add a "metoo". I can create a subfolder no problem, but I confirm
that top-level doesn't work.

> there are curious sub-folders created when migrating from KMail,

Back when I migrated my mail it somehow did work, and I haven't tried since.
Although I remember I had some trouble finding out precisely *how* to migrate,
ie. how to change the default local mail folder.

> the Tools=>Find Messages facility does not seem to work.

Metoo. But I rarely use the search, if ever. When I need it, I open a
terminal, and do a

  grep -r searchphrase ~/mymail

:-)

> I just wondered if the reason I haven't had any responses

Maybe nobody has anything helpful to say? ;-)

As for myself, note that my usage of mail client is quite simplistic with
well-organized mail subfolders, so I rarely need to create a top-level
maildir, or perform searches. I didn't know these problems existed until I saw
your post and tested.

> is that everyone has gone back to the previous version of KMail?

Is that even possible?! Anyway, no, I'm waiting for KDE4.8 to arrive to F16
stable --- that has a fix for the "not filtering sent mail" bug, which is
basically the only thing bugging me with KMail2. Hopefully some of the bugs
you mentioned are also fixed.

AFAIK, most KMail2 bugs and terrible functionality regressions came about when
the actual control over the e-mail storage was delegated to akonadi. Back when
the old KMail was handling mail storage on its own, everything was smooth,
fast and Just Worked. But since akonadi took control over e-mail storage...

...I see duplicate new messages all over the place --- when I click on the
first, something wakes up in the background and the second copy disappears
after a few seconds (but not always)...

...there are "ghost" e-mails --- the number of unread messages next to some
folders reports 1 or 2 unread messages, but there aren't any inside...

...search doesn't work...

...often it is necessary to "update folder" from the folder's popup menu
(whatever that updating means) or otherwise some messages get lost in the
"limbo" somewhere and don't get listed inside a directory...

...during the (POP3) download of e-mails from the server, messages get into
the inbox, then get automatically filtered to various subfolders, then get back
into inbox again and finally get filtered into subfolders once more, before
settling down --- the whole process takes several seconds of shuffling messages
back and forth, with intensive cpu activity...

...deleting a message from a folder takes a whole second to complete, and cpu
spikes during that time...

...and so on... ;-)

All in all, IMHO the move to akonadi was a Bad Idea --- I have a feeling that
KMail2 itself is not responsible for any of the above issues. Rather, akonadi
seems to be handling e-mail in a very unoptimized way. The old KMail handled
all this on its own, in a much better, cleaner and faster way. But due to
someone's idea of "integration of e-mail with the rest of KDE", all mail
handling has been moved to an akonadi database --- a "cannon to kill a fly"
scenario. I see no practical benefit, while functionality has been degraded
several times over.

But I can live with it, for now. I'm too used to KMail's user interface, and
migrating to another client is not worth the time to relearn&customize it to
my preference.

Waiting for 4.8 and hoping for the best... :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko