Re: problems adding new printer

On 23/01/12 15:06, Neal Becker wrote:
> I was so happy to see, maybe 1 year back, that fedora/kde had finally progressed
> to the point that when I tried to add my home printer it was autodetected, and I
> didn't have to specify the make, model, etc.
>
> Not any more.  Seems pretty broken now.
>
> I seem to have 3 ways to try to add a printer.  I can use system settings (kde).
> This, unlike the other ways, actually works.  But it doesn't detect my printer,
> and I do need to select make/model etc.
>
> The other two ways I find by opening application launcher and search for 'print'
> which shows 2 items, 1 called 'printer configuration' and 1 called 'printing'.
> Neither of them work at all.  The first gives me 'cups-authorization-cancelled'
> when I try to add a new printer, without having ever asked for any
> authorization.  (This seems to be just another way to get to the kde printer
> config dialog, but a broken one).  The other seems like a gnome version.  IIRC
> this one also fails but later in the process.

Adding a printer through the CUPS page (localhost:631) has always
required you to be root.  Did you go to the Admin page and log in as
root?  In the past I found that it is often best to set up the printer
on this interface before doing anything else, but then I've used hplip
to set up mine for the past 3 years, so things could be different now.

Then again, have you tried system-config-printer?

Other than that, it might help if you gave us a clue what printer you
are trying to add, in case there are any specifics.

Anne
--
Need KDE help?  Try
http://userbase.kde.org or