Re: Kmail2 quite usable.

Hows this for a bad review.... :)

I get kmail crashing frequently when trying to load external html sources.
When migrating, my filters got screwed (again... sigh). My local calendars did
not migrate and I had to go and find them.

I tried to downgrade to 4.4.10 but I had problems with my filters again... So
I upgraded again. While trying to figure out if I could do anything about my
issues I blew away the newer .kde and restored my backup .kde. That left me
with an orphaned kjots resource "Local Notes" with no easy way to edit the
Akonadi db to remove them. And I don't want to blow away the Akonadi db cause
that will require me to rebuild all of my resources including kmail and that
would require me to rebuild all of filters... again... sigh.

Eli

On Tuesday 29 November 2011 23:39:24 Roy Dragseth wrote:
> I've been following the threads about the problems with Kmail2 and was kinda
> worried before upgrading to F16.  And right enough, I had two days of post-
> traumatic flashbacks to the KDE3-KDE4 transition, but after som trial and
> error I've found it rather good.  Some quirks, sure, but in my experience
> they are more related to akonadi and kwallet than Kmail itself:
>
> o akonadi doesn't like suspend/resumes on my laptop.  I need to restart it
> every time.  After a akonadi restart kmail can read mail again, if you don't
> restart kmail will hang and show the "Fetching folder...." screen forever.
>
> o sometimes the kwalletd will bomb out (claiming to be open, but contain no
> user/passwd info) and thus kmail will hang on fetching mail.  A Disable
> kwallet - Apply - Enable kwallet - Apply cycle in  System Settings will
> bring things back into order again.
>
> o often the Next/Prev Message in the Go menu are grayed out and you cannot
> jump to the next message with the keyboard.  Selecting another message or
> folder with the mouse brings things back in order again.
>
> Trying to convert the Kmail1 mail caches was a no-go, I deleted all local
> caches and setup everything fresh.  I'm using imap exclusively and do all
> filtering with procmail on the server side so it didn't matter, this might
> not be an option for people using local mail folders...
>
> So, all in all, kmail2 was better than feared for my use.
>
> Thanks for all the good work done by the maintainers,
> r.

believed to be clean.