Re: Need to logout on Update

On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 18:51 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday, July 21, 2011 04:54:19 PM Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > What is so surprising about that? :-)
> > >
> > > You are changing the whole system behind the carpet and you expect it to
> > > just work?
> >
> > Mostly yes, I do. This isn't Windows.
> >
> I'm thankful that it manages things well enough for me to always finish
> whatever I was doing.  However, my thinking is that if I start anything new
> that calls one of the new packages I am asking for a conflict with the old
> packages that I'm still running.   It simply isn't worth the risk.  And after
> all, a logout is nowhere near the same as a Windows reboot.

I do the same, not so much because I think anything will go wrong if I
don't but for general motives of paranoia. When I say this isn't
Windows, I mean that Linux gives you great leeway in deciding when to do
it while Windows frequently demands a reboot even for trivial changes.
The underlying reason has much to do with the very elegant Unix file
model, which IMHO Mr. Gates totally failed to understand when he started
selling MS-DOS, but that's another story.

poc