Re: KDE desktop effects

On Friday, July 30, 2010 19:41:11 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > * Is there a possibility to draw window borders which one can grab
> > with the mouse and have the window fold like a sheet of paper (this
> > makes sense only when window is maximized)? This is a feature of
> > Emerald window decorator in compiz, haven't seen it anywhere else.
> > Kwin doesn't seem to have an option of drawing window borders at all,
> > for maximized windows.
>
> I think you're confusing the concepts of "maximized" and "fullscreen": KWin
> always draws window borders for maximized windows, but fullscreen ones have
> the very purpose of not having window borders. You maximize a window
> through the window decoration, the "fullscreen" option (often activated by
> the F11 keyboard shortcut) provided by some applications is different.

No, I don't think I'm confusing those two. By "maximized" I mean the thing
that gets triggered when one clicks the appropriate button in the top right
corner of the window titlebar, between minimize and close buttons. The window
gets spread across the screen, but does not go into fullscreen. It's just the
common usual "maximize" feature that exists basically on all window managers
(and on all OSes :-) ).

Now, when the window is in this state, I don't seem to see window borders,
except the window titlebar on top. Maybe the borders are too thin for me to
notice, or maybe they are not there at all (can one configure their thickness
anywhere?). Either way, I cannot seem to navigate the mouse to "grab&drag" a
window border. Or even if I could, that would probably resize the window
rather than fold it like paper (the F13 machine is not here for me to check
right now). In emerald, if the window is *not* maximized, dragging the border
also resizes it by default, but if it *is* maximized, dragging the window
border does this paper-folding effect instead of resizing.

The effect is quite nice and comes handy when you have two maximized windows on
top of each other. You work in one, but can easily fold it to "take a peek" at
the other one behind. The front window behaves like a paper in a book, or like
a curtain over a real window --- move it slightly to see what is behind, than
let it unfold back. The catch is that during this time the front window never
loses focus.

Btw, emerald doesn't do this by default, one needs to deactivate the "use
decoration cropping" option in emerald-theme-manager. I guess because of this
very few people even know about this effect.

But anyway, despite that I'd like to see all those features in KWin, maybe I'm
asking for too much atm. Guess KDE developers have more important things to do
than to copy features of compiz&friends. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko