XSession help needed

My laptop has Intel graphics.  I have never been able to use Desktop Effects,
and have worked, since I got it a few months ago, in KDE Failsafe mode.  After
updating this morning I decided to give it another try.

In the past I found that I could work for a minute or two, then I would be
dropped to the Login screen, so it must be an X failure, I guess.  Today,
though, I went to SystemSettings to enable a few choice effects - none of the
eye-candy stuff, but dimming inactive windows and setting alt-tab to cover
switch.  I completely lost keyboard input, although the mouse continued to
work.  Gkrellm showed no activity whatsoever, although I suspect that just
means that it had lost connectivity, since mouse movement on the screen must
mean that it's not totally dead.

I know that .xsession-errors is where I should be looking, but I don't really
know where to start, so I've posted it at http://pastebin.ca/1897817.  Could
someone please have a look and see if there are any suggestions for solving
the problem.  (I have been working for more than 30 minutes now, without a
problem, so I'm hopeful that there is some improvement in the situation since
the update.)

Anne
--
KDE Community Working Group