KDE/Gnome ...help i am confused

2010/5/27 pankaj biswas <p.biswas at hotmail.co.uk>:
> Hi KDE team,
>
> I need to jump to fedora 13 and i dont know which type should i use?
> Can you help me in making the right decision please?
>
> If i am going to go for KDE why should i go for it?
> Please do let me both good things and bad things about it.
>
> Looking forward to hear a genuine opinion from you.
>
> Kind Regards
> Pankaj Biswas

I can only offer personal opinions and hearsay, mostly because I don't
use Gnome so I only have passing familiarity with it.  The general
characterization of the two different desktops is that KDE is more
like a "Windows" environment and Gnome is more like a "Mac".  My own
view is that is far too simplistic a description, but you are likely
to hear it often enough, and it is based primarily on the main
interface of each environment -- KDE has a task bar that is very
similar to Windows's, with a "launch" menu in the lower-left and
status icons in the lower right (though you can configure this how you
want), while Gnome's default is to have a menu bar at the top of the
screen (kind of like a Mac) and a status bar at the bottom.

KDE has recently undergone a major upgrade and now has lots of modern
elements that allow you to customize your desktop.  This includes
"widgets" (known as "Plasmoids" I believe) that allow you to
incorporate a lot of dynamic information into your desktop.  The shift
cause a lot of angst originally, but many of the early issues have
been ironed out and KDE 4.4 **very** stable and usable.  KDE also has
added a bunch of semantic systems that allow you -- if you use them --
to more efficiently search for information.

Gnome is about to undergo a similar jump that will significantly alter
its environment.  I have no idea whether this change will be as
dramatic (and traumatic) for the Gnome world as it was for KDE, but
you should be aware that within 6 months to 1 year, Gnome will look
significantly different than it does today.

My suggestion is to install both and try them out.  I won't hurt
anything and you would see for yourself which you like.  I would
suggest giving both desktops a few weeks each to see which feels
better.

George