Open Letter: Why I, Kevin Kofler, am not rerunning for FESCo

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 15:21 -0700, Ryan Rix wrote:
> > BTW, one of the reasons to avoid cross-posting is that it makes it
> very
> > hard to keep the threads straight. Some people reply on one list,
> some
> > on another. For those of us who aren't on both, this quickly becomes
> > unmanageable.
>
> If it's pertinent to both lists, it should go to both lists. If your
> mail client cant' properly thread them that's something you should
> fix. It works just fine with kmail over here. But labelling it as
> somemone else's mistake is kinda un-called-for, imo.

1) I didn't invent the widely-applied netiquette rule about
cross-posting. In fact it's also part of the Guidelines document that
applies to all the Fedora lists, see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines#Do_not_Cross_Post

2) I understand that most rules have exceptions, and it's up to the
poster to decide what to do. (For example, Kevin didn't post his message
to the main Fedora users list, just to dev and kde, even though it would
seem pretty much equally relevant to all three.)

3) If your mail client handles this situation, can I assume you are not
filtering the various lists into separate folders, as many people do? If
not, can you explain how you set up your MUA to handle this?

4) The cross-posting issue wasn't even the central point of my message,
whuch was that Kevin said he'd cross-posted when in fact as far as I can
see he hadn't. Perhaps the mail server had a hiccup, perhaps his MUA
failed in some way, perhaps he mis-remembered what he'd done, but that's
what caused the confusion in the first place. Even with all the MUA
support imaginable, nothing can be done if the messages aren't being
received. Why do you think it uncalled-for to label that a mistake?

poc