address book problems

tisdag 23 mars 2010 skrev Anne Wilson:
> As you well know, KDE is not a commercial company, with paid employees
> working  9 to 5.  KDE is a community of people who give their best, mostly
> in their spare time, but sometimes fail to understand what a hash we can
> all make with tweaking our own systems.  Yes there have been problems, but
> the developers have been responsive in helping us to identify them and fix
> them.

Most of us do understand this and we appreciate all the work done by the
developers, package maintainers and documentation writers. We also like KDE, why
would we use it if we didn't?

However, the present situation in a core utility, PIM, risks making people leave
KDE for other systems. After all PIM is not just any program, it's where I keep
all my personal information!

> I know some people are annoyed, but try to be rational about this.  As long
> as  some of us can say 'it works for me', we have to accept that the cause
> of problems may not be in the actual software package.

The last couple of months or so I have silently followed the discussions about
the implementation of Akonadi on this list and avoided the testing repository.
This is my production system and I want it to be as stable as possible. Last
week I upgraded to 4.4.1 from stable. After a lot of work and following the
advise given by you and others I now _seem_ to have a stable "Personal Contacts"
address-book where I can add, remove and edit contacts. Somehow they also are
saved although they don't show up in ~/.local/share/contacts/ until later.

If I click on an email-address in AddressBook a "new mail" window in Kmail opens
with the address in the to-field just as expected. If, on the other hand, I open
a "new mail" window from Kmail and try to select a contact I'm presented a list
which reflects the situation before the migration to Akonadi. Any changes or new
entries are not there! I guess, without knowing, that Kmail still reads the old
~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf while Akonadi only updates
~/.local/share/contacts/ .

Using Kmail gradually becomes much harder as more and more contacts are added or
changed. You now have to look up each contact manually in AddressBook instead of
just typing the name in the to-field. Even worse, as you loose track of which
addresses have changed you risk using outdated addresses!

How can an update be pushed as "stable" from upstream with a regression like
this?

Best regards
Jan
--