packaging rant

On Thursday 25 February 2010, Rex Dieter wrote:

> This is a FAQ, and discussed many many times.  I suggest you search the
> archives.
>
> However, in this case, your comment is laiden with a least a small
> amount of merit :).  We're thinking about it, it just didn't happen in
> time for 4.4.  Another TODO for 4.5 perhaps.

Thanks, Rex. All I can do is ask that you guys work on it. OTOH, I may have
gotten you a volunteer helper... :-) I posted something similar on the
regular Fedora list and someone there said "they don't have the
manpower...maybe if you volunteered..." in response to which someone else
piped up and said "hey, I've been looking for a way to volunteer...." :-)
So, maybe you'll get some help that you need. :-)

It would be very nice if you were able to break up the packages a bit more
so that you don't have to install the kitchen sink to install a dishwasher
(to use a plumbing analogy.) :-)

It's very frustrating to have so many apps in one package. I remember the
"good old days" when you got to choose which apps you wanted and didn't
have to install everything just to get one package. Now days it's like you
have to install a whole Office suite just to get a text editor. :-)