kde-4.3.1 networkmanager applet

Kevin Kofler venit, vidit, dixit 10.09.2009 11:05:
> Ben Boeckel wrote:
>> k-p-nm is now a viewer for the kded service,
>
> True, but the plasmoid is most likely not what he's using, the monolithic
> systray applet is. Unlike the plasmoid, which has to be added to the panel
> by hand, the systray applet autostarts.
>
>> hence the passive mode.
>
> No, the passive mode is because the GNOME nm-applet is running too.
>
>> This is so that the connection survives a plasma crash.
>> There will be a systray icon for it when it is running.
>
> No, the systray icon is the monolithic version. The kded4 service and the
> plasmoid work together and are separate from the monolithic version (and
> should not be run at the same time as it). They are not ready for production
> use.
>
>> Using nm-applet will disable the kded service and the
>> plasmoid/systray will act as a viewer for it.
>
> Right.

Confusion mounts (sorry). I used to have nm-applet on the systray (tried
the plasmoid a few times and gave up). After the 4.3.1 update, there's
the kdeish version, and I see knetworkmanger running. Trying to start
nm-applet gives

** (nm-applet:7680): WARNING **: <WARN>  request_name(): Could not
acquire the NetworkManagerUserSettings service as it is already taken.
Return: 3

"pkill knetworkmanager && nm-applet" replaces the kdeish systray applet
with good old nm-applet.

If I now start knetworkmanager again it appears in addition to the
nm-applet systray icon.

So, I guess knetworkmanager's mode depends on what it sees when being
started.

The plasmoid more or less says "Don't use me.", by the way.

Michael