Status of Kaffeine?

On Monday 23 February 2009 01:28:58 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > They are independant however, a quck examination of several packages.
> > kmldonkey as an examply is only released via extragear.
>
> Yes, but that doesn't necessarily apply to KMplayer. The latest release of
> KMplayer is a standalone release. How future releases will look like is
> something we don't know yet (ask the author), but for certain snapshots of
> all of extragear-multimedia are not KMplayer releases! So right now the
> standalone release is the current version.
>
> > As far as stable extragear stuff is concerned take a look at
> >
> > ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/4.2.0/src/extragear
> >
> > While they are all listed as seperate packages they are all under
> > extragear.
>
> Not all. Only those which elected to be released together with KDE
> releases. Some extragear projects release on their own schedule and
> infrastructure.
>
> And as you can see there's no KMplayer release there. There may or may not
> be one together with KDE 4.2.1, it's up to the upstream author to decide
> how to release.
>
> > My experience with KMPlayer has been that the developer has always placed
> > the correct version in the about box.
>
> For the tarballs he releases, sure. But a snapshot is NOT a release, it's a
> checkout of the SVN repository at a random point in time with no prior
> warning to the author! So of course the about box will have the version
> number of the latest release or the next upcoming release (unless the
> author bumps the version to something like "SVN version" immediately after
> the release and to the release version immediately before the next release,
> but almost nobody does that).
>
> > And as I said, it maybe a good idea to email the guy and ask him which
> > would be better.
>
> It's a waste of time, the extragear-multimedia snapshot tarballs are not
> intended to be packaged! I think you don't understand what a "snapshot" is:
> it's a checkout of the SVN trunk at a point in time which completely
> ignores the release cycles of the individual projects in it (which as I say
> aren't even necessarily aligned), code in a snapshot may not even compile,
> let alone work. And chances are the KMplayer author isn't even aware of
> their existence.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Firstly, I'm not arguing to use or not to use. Actually I really don't know
what we're discussing but that's OK. :).

Kevin pulease. I've been at this a very long time... of course I know what a
snapshot is. As I indicated KMPlayer versioning in the about dialog box has
always been accurate. As everyone is aware... there has been many many changes
to the underlying code in KDE between 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2. The snapshot releases
may reflect changes we are not aware of and may in fact deal better with those
changes. But we really won't know unless somebody writes to the developer and
asks him. All I can tell you is that both versions work.

And wouldn't it be better for the packager to communicate with the developer
so that any information comes first hand.

Eli

believed to be clean.