CDs in Amarok

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> I am pretty sure that "analog playback" of CD's is not really analog.
> But what is the definition (of "analog playback")?

"Analog" playback means playback through the sound cable from the CD drive
to the soundcard (which of course assumes that cable is plugged), as
opposed to digital audio extraction to the computer and playback through
the CPU. The advantage is that it doesn't use CPU power and is less
susceptible to some forms of copy protection (also depending on the drive),
the drawback is that it needs that cable to be plugged and that effects
cannot be performed (on most sound cards, you can control the volume of
direct CD playback, but other than that no tuning can be done because the
sound doesn't transit through the CPU).

I think it's called analog playback because that cable is an analog cable
and thus it's the CD drive which does the digital->analog conversion, not
the sound card. I may be wrong though.

        Kevin Kofler