Re: hyperkitty/mailman3 now updated to the latest

On Mon, 13 Nov 2023 at 09:50, Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14/05/2023 01:13, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, May 13, 2023 at 10:11:36PM -0000, Reon Beon wrote:
>> Nice.
>
> yep. Many thanks to Neil and Michael for working on it.
>
> Just waiting on the epel9 branch/build and we can look at upgrading.
>
> kevin

Just curious : do we have just some kind of ETA for the whole mailman3
stack to be available ? It seems that both Fedora and CentOS mailman
instances should (soon ?) rely on epel9 packages so just wondering
what's the status.
Worth knowing that for Fedora will be a "minor" update (as already on
mailman3) but for CentOS I'll have to just convert everything from
mailman2 to mailman3 but that's a different story :)

It may actually be easier for convert CentOS over than when Fedora gets updated. The Fedora release has been on a 'pre-release' of mailman/postorius/etc for a long time. Various factors were not implemented or were implemented in different ways which means that there are table changes and also code additions which will need to be dealt with.

0. mailman2 was basically a single tool which could use an archiving tool which was usually integrated also. mailman3 can be many different tools for different parts however not all tools are still maintained.. so choices may have happened which need to be redone.
1. Unsubscribe due to bounces was not completely implemented in Fedora's mailman3. The table just keeps track of how many bounces or delivery errors have been going on for an account. The new version now has the triggers which can (for some other users of old code) unsubscribe EVERYONE because the number of stored errors/bounces etc may be every possible one since day 0. [Depending on the code version used.]
2. table layout of some items may have changed greatly but because the code was prerelease there may not be methods to convert from one to the other. In some cases there can be crashes due to this which show up later.

In some cases, it seems it may be better to export everything from the older version, clean up, and re import into the new version. AKA the same as if you are converting from mailman2 -> mailman3.

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren