Re: PDC replacement proposal

On Mon, 2023-09-04 at 16:51 +0200, Tomas Hrcka wrote:

> Current uses of PDC:
>
>    1.
>
>    Critical Path Package Tracking: Bodhi leverages PDC to track packages on
>    the critical path.
>
> /rest_api/v1/component-branches/: Specifically, Bodhi will handle the
> critical-path flag.
>
> Bodhi's existing framework aligns well with releases and components. To
> enhance this, we will create an auxiliary table that pairs this data with
> additional metadata,
>
> predominantly focusing on the critical-path flag. Previously, we had to
> query this information from PDC.
>
> It's essential to note that PDC is not the definitive source of truth for
> critical-path packages. The Fedora Project Critical Path Package Wiki
> indicates that the source of truth lies within the Fedora Comps repository.
>
> You can find specific information by searching for groups with the
> "critical-path-*" prefix, as demonstrated here.
>
> While the data is accessible through DNF, generating it can be
> time-consuming. PDC serves as a pre-computed cache.
>
> Previously, we followed this process to update it, but now we have
> transitioned to using this method.
>
> The primary application of this information during the Fedora release cycle
> is in Bodhi, where it is used to enforce stricter requirements on
> critical-path package updates. For further details, please refer to this
> link.

This is all done already. I did it months ago:

https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/pull/4755
https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/pull/4759
https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/ansible/pull-request/1294
https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/ansible/c/fea60aab95bd45960dbf4a0514c5df28a86090eb?branch=main
https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/ansible/c/842db118e88b987dbb5ab98f4d17556aba0601d6?branch=main

We no longer use PDC for critical path information and, indeed, we
dropped the code for doing so from Bodhi last month:

https://github.com/fedora-infra/bodhi/pull/5431

BTW, the email seems kind of weird. There are lots of places where it
seems like it's referring to external information - "as demonstrated
here", "Previously, we followed this process to update it, but now we
have transitioned to using this method" - but it does not actually link
to anything external, so I have no idea what the references are meant
to be?
--
Adam Williamson (he/him/his)
Fedora QA