Re: GitLab Grouping and Naming

On Fri, Aug 04, 2023 at 02:04:22PM +0200, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
> On 04/08/2023 08:49, Ryan Lerch wrote:

Just a nitpick, this isn't a Fedora Gitlab instance. ;)
it's a namespace on gitlab.com provided to us from gitlab.

This was the 'source git sig' wanting to try things out on gitlab.
It could be moved to SIGs I think? We might ping them and see if it's
even still needed however, since I don't know that they are active much
these days. ;(

Sounds reasonable.

Yeah, not sure about this one... I mean it's the mass prebuild tool, but
not sure where moving it would make sense.

We likely need to ask that person about where to move these or keep
them.

Sure, or the scheme below seems good to me.

> > > Hi Ryan,
> > >
> > > We more or less discussed that with Kevin in the past and for CentOS
> > > groups (all coming from same common IPA infra) I proposed that we used
> > > something like :
> > > <target>-<project>-<group_name>
> > >
> > > Let me explain : Assuming that we need to grant the CentOS Automotive
> > > SIG access to gitlab, the name in FAS/IPA is :
> > > gitlab-centos-sig-automotive-developer
> > > (https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/group/gitlab-centos-sig-automotive-developer/)
> > >
> > > Same rule but for openshift/ocp : we need to grant the hyperscale sig
> > > access to the openshift CI centos infra :
> > > https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/group/ocp-cico-hyperscale/
> > >
> > > It's then easier to identify which group has access to what
> > > (gitlab/openshift/etc) *while* keeping the existing groups, as IPA
> > > supports nested groups (so the ocp-cico-hyperscale group in fact
> > > contains the sig-hyperscale group
> > > (https://accounts.fedoraproject.org/group/sig-hyperscale/)
> > >
> > > At least that's the naming convention we agreed on so that we can also
> > > easily identify if that's a fedora/centos group (all the sig-* groups
> > > weren't following that naming convention as they were coming from
> > > previous FAS and so imported/merged with the fedora groups in IPA, but
> > > there was no conflicting group back then)
> > >

> > Oh, i can also definitely get on board with a set scheme for Fedora
> > Accounts groups <-> Gitlab Groups naming conventions.

Yeah, +1

> > However, the one of the main issues i am noticing with our current
> > GitLab setup is that the groups that are being added are being done in
> > an adhoc setting.
> >
> > For example, there are groups for Council and Mindshare (and not yet,
> > but i can imagine a FesCO group too) -- should these be grouped
> > together under, say a "Governance" Sub group?
> >
> > cheers,
> > ryanlerch
> >

> Multiple solutions : one can always create new groups and reflect that at
> gitlab level (same membership but different group name[s]) and IPA supports
> multiple "nesting" levels so you can (in your Governance example) have one
> groups containining/nesting multiple other ones

Yeah, or 'project' instead of 'govenance'?

We should write up a doc with whatever we do to document it and make
sure everything is on the same page.

kevin