Re: clean up on aisle pagure.io

On Wed, 26 Apr 2023 at 07:17, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey folks.

So, a few weeks back I noticed some spam projects on pagure.io.
So, I cleaned up about 165 of them and deactivated 165 spam users.

Now, I see there's another pile of them. :(

So, I started to look at cleaning things up again, but I think we need a
better solution that doesn't involve admins manually cleaning things up.
;( Additionally, the clean up is not really very scripted and takes a
long time to do.

So, thoughts on a longer term solution? I can think of a few:

1. only allow fedora 'contributors' to make new projects. (ie, people in
at least one non cla/non base ipa group
Pros:
- Would very likely cut off the spam or at least cut it way down.
- Might be easy to implement? (not sure tho!)
Cons:
- Would block legit people who aren't fedora contributors.

This is my top pick!

Had a quick look at the pagure code, and this looks like we will have to add some additional logic for this to work (not necessarily difficult, but it’s not just a config change)

Afaict, there is no logic to restrict creating new repos (other than turning it off completely). Additionally. The logic that restricts FPCA is done at the login phase. So unless we want to restrict login to FPCA+1 (which I’m not suggesting) it will take a bigger (but not that bad) of a fix to get working.

2 Some kind of moderation for new projects
Pros:
- Would let non fedora folks make new projects.
- Would likely cut spam
Cons:
- Would require someone to moderate things
- Would requite us to make some kind of moderation code

3. A script to do all the cleanup so we could do it easier and some kind
of 'bad words' blocklist we could put in place to stop obvious spammers
(most of these are bogus "exam answers" ones)
Pros:
- Will cut down on spam some, but not fully.
Cons:
- Will have to write the script and implement the blocklist
- It's likely spammers will use different words over time and avoid the
  block.

Or perhaps someone has further clever ideas? Happy to hear em. ;)

Would trying to curtail bots registering on the Fedora Accounts side be an option here too?

Cheers,
Ryanlerch

kevin