Re: Failure to download metadata for “CentOS-PowerTools” repo

On Thu, 20 Apr 2023 at 17:49, Laura Flores <lflores@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Kevin,

First, I want to clarify that this is only seen on Centos Stream 8. RHEL 8.6 is another issue we are dealing with, but it is unrelated to powertools. My mistake for writing it is affected.

As for the yum.repos.d file, we use the same mirrorlist cache for all of our centos 8 testhosts. We are attempting to remove that here:

OK I think there is a historical issue which is causing this problem.

The CEPH, Gluster and some other projects in the community cage were having speed problems getting updates for Fedora and CentOS. I told them until it was fixed, they should use the download-cc-rdu01.fedoraproject.org server which was local to them. That was several years ago and I forgot about it until now. The server died and so all those projects are probably going to have broken updates.

I think that they are using only one mirror but yum and dnf will give a message that all mirrors were tried which makes it sound like there were multiple tried.

At this point, I would recommend looking for any links in the /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo for `baseurl=https://download-cc-rdu01.fedoraproject.org/` and comment out those lines and re-add the metalink line to go to the centos mirror server.

Thanks for your response,
Laura

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 4:22 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 08:58:37PM -0000, Laura Flores wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Around two weeks ago, I started seeing this error after running “sudo yum install -y kernel”. It seems to be an issue with the CentOS-PowerTools repo. Is this a known issue, or does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> This is happening on Centos Stream 8 and RHEL 8.6. Multiple mirrors are tried with no success.

Other mirrors should be working.
Which ones does it say it's trying?

> ```
> Curl error (7): Couldn't connect to server for https://download-cc-rdu01.fedoraproject.org/pub/centos/8-stream/PowerTools/x86_64/os/repodata/repomd.xml [Failed to connect to download-cc-rdu01.fedoraproject.org port 443: Connection timed out]
> 2023-04-20T13:06:39.243
> ```
>
> Let me know if any additional information is needed.

Yes, the hardware this mirror was on is 100% dead.
We are working on getting a replacement, but it's going to be a while.

I disabled it in mirrormanager, so it should not be showing up in any
mirror lists.

Whats your /etc/yum.repos.d/ repo file for this repository?

kevin

Laura Flores

She/Her/Hers

Software Engineer, Ceph Storage

Chicago, IL

lflores@xxxxxxx | lflores@xxxxxxxxxx
M: +17087388804

Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren