Re: FMN replacement deployment

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 08:55:58AM +0200, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Hey folks!
>
> I have a few questions about the final deployment of the FMN replacement:
>
> - There's been a request to handle a user being disabled in IPA, which
> should trigger their rules being disabled (FMN#826). We can do that
> but we have questions about re-enablement: should the rules be
> auto-enabled when the user is re-enabled? What about rules that the
> user may have disabled previously? Should we just leave things
> disabled?

I think this is a pretty rare case.
I guess I would expect to just leave them all disabled and let the user
go enable them again once they can log back in?

> - How do you see the transition to the new system? We were thinking:
>   - move the current FMN to a different URL, such as
> notifications-old.fp.o. It will still be processing messages and
> sending notifications
>   - run the new system in notifications.fp.o (in place of the old)
>   - add a small banner to the new system to point people to the old in
> case they want to change their rules there
>   Is it too quick? Should we deploy the new one to a notifications-new
> URL first? That's one more step to get to the final setup, so more
> work for you. You get to decide :-)
> → Michal & Kevin are fine with this plan.

yep. I think smooges suggestion downthread to announce the plan is good.

and schedule a time to roll out the new and move the old so people know
to expect it.

> - IRC account: we can't connect to libera.chat with the same account
> twice, we'll need a second account. I can create it, but do you prefer
> that we:
>   1. run the old FMN on the new account (fedora-notifs-old) and the
> new FMN on the usual account
>   2. run the old FMN on the usual account and the new FMN on the new
> account (fedora-notifs-new) and then switch back to the usual one when
> we retire the old FMN
>   3. run the old FMN on the usual account and the new FMN on a new
> account (fedora-fmn) and just drop the old account when we retire the
> old FMN
>   (I guess that's connected to the URL transition issue)
> → Kevin prefers option 3.

yep. since people will be setting things up new it makes sense to me to
have a new user messaging you. Also less swapping around, its just setup
and done.

> - Let's do an "ask us anything" session for infra people. We can do
> that on IRC or you can ask all your questions in this email thread.

+1

> - When should we do the switch?
> → Kevin suggests next week, with an email to devel-announce.
>
> What do you think? I've had a few answers from Michal & Kevin already
> and added them inline.
>
> Kevin also notes that we may need a RHIT ticket to allow IRC out from
> OpenShift. I'll test it as soon as I've created the new IRC account.
> He also suggests a sunset date for the old FMN after the F39 release.

yep!

thanks!

kevin