Re: MDAPI logs a lot

On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 04:19:08PM +0100, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> Hey folks!
>
> To help me search through the FMN logs during development I've written
> a small script that parses and stores the logs in a SQLite database on
> log01 (that I remove afterwards :-).
> While doing that I noticed that MDAPI produces quite a bit of logs.
> Here is the number of log lines produced per app since yesterday:
> mdapi | 39173286
> oraculum | 1524762
> zezere | 1394854
> fmn | 1085206
> As you can see MDAPI produces an order of magnitude more logs than the
> second on that list: 40 million lines, while oraculum is only at 1.5
> million.
> I don't know whether it's justified or not, Akashdeep would know
> better, but since a new version has been recently deployed I thought
> there may be some debug setting still on.

Yeah, that seems like something to look into for sure.

Lots of our applications log too much in normal use.
The two I know of are:
1. kojid (logs every poll to the hub looking for jobs, every build, etc)

and

2. docker-distribution on oci-registry* machines. This is the container
registry and it logs every single access. Since Fedora's registry is
high in the search list for podman/moby, we get hits from every single
user looking for some image that is actually in another registry, but it
just tries ours first.

I'm sure there's a bunch more we could clean up. ;(

kevin