Re: repos.fedorapeople.org

On 09.01.23 07:12, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 08.01.23 23:03, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Ugh :-/
>
>>> Icon   Name  <https://repos.fedorapeople.org/?C=N;O=A>                     Last modified  <https://repos.fedorapeople.org/?C=M;O=A>       Size  <https://repos.fedorapeople.org/?C=S;O=A>   Description  <https://repos.fedorapeople.org/?C=D;O=A>
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> [DIR]  thl/  <https://repos.fedorapeople.org/thl/>                     2022-11-28 06:41    -
>>> [DIR]  openstack/  <https://repos.fedorapeople.org/openstack/>               2022-11-14 13:15    -
>>> [DIR]  leo/  <https://repos.fedorapeople.org/leo/>                     2022-02-25 20:26    -
>>>
>>> These three seems to be last users.
>>>
>>> But otherwise +1 from me.
>>
>> Added them to CC here. :)
>
> thx
>
>> I'm not sure thl can do his kernel-vanilla builds in copr, but perhaps?
>
> I tried a few (three? four?) years ago and there were iirc three
> showstoppers back then. I'm sure I wrote them down somewhere, but I
> can't find it right now. :-( But I think I remember one:
>
> It iirc (and afaik back then) was not possible to build packages and
> test them before their publication. Is that possible these days? I
> occasionally do something stupid, that's why I fire up the x86_64 builds
> in qemu locally these days before publishing a build.
>
> /me looks to answer that question
>
> Seems it's somehow possible these days:
> https://docs.pagure.org/copr.copr/createrepo.html
> Is that scriptable? I'd prefer not to do this manually for each build.
>
> Not sure what the other two problems where. One might have been speed,
> but I might misremember/mix something up.
>
> /me give copr a try to check how suitable it would be these days

That made me remember the biggest showstopper:

I regularly push the results of one build to two different repositories
(which ones depends on the phase of the kernel devel cycle and if Fedora
is shipping the latest stable series).

To explain: currently I build one vanilla mainline package (6.2-rc...)
and push it to the kernel-vanilla-mainline and
kernel-vanilla-mainline-wo-mergew repos (rpms hardlinked of course). But
within the merge window (e.g. after 6.1 was released and before 6.2-rc1
came out) I didn't do that; back then I pushed the latest stable
releases to the kernel-vanilla-stable and
kernel-vanilla-mainline-wo-mergew repos, as some people want to avoid
mainline builds during that phase (even some kernel devs are careful
with mainline builds during that time frame).

And right now kernel-vanilla-stable and kernel-vanilla-fedora ship
different builds (6.1.y and 6.0.y to be precise); but that will change
again in a few days, when Fedora will jump to 6.1 in updates-testing,
then those repos will start shipping the same packages again.

See
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Kernel_Vanilla_Repositories#Configure_the_repositories
to get a brief idea.

I assume that's not possible with copr, unless I build everything twice
I now simply hardlink. Which would require quite a build of compute time
and storage space without a strong reason.

Ciao, Thorsten