fate/plans for fedmsg-irc

Greetings everyone.

I thought I would open a discussion about fedmsg-irc and what we want to
do with it moving forward.

First some background on what it is. ;)

fedmg-irc is part of fedmsg (Our old zmq message bus). It's a small irc
client that listens to the fedmsg bus and sends messages to a irc
channel based on it's configuration. It used to send to a bunch of
channels, but we dropped most of them off when we setup matrix bridges.

The only two it has left are:

1. #fedora-fedmsg - This channel gets a constant stream of (most)
everything from the message bus. (and #fedora-fedmsg-stg for staging)

2. #fedora-releng - This channel gets reports about releng related
events (failed composes, compose starts, syncs, tickets, etc).

Personally I have found 1 useful because my irc client logs it and I can
use handy things like grep to look for messages. Also, if something is
wrong and messages aren't flowing by there I can notice and fix things.
Also, it's sometimes useful because you can use a IRC hilight and see
messages of interest go by. All that said, there are probibly better
ways to do all those things: I could make a fedora-messaging listener to
just log everything, or get datagrepper better so I didn't want use grep
or have alerts for lack of messages, etc.

2 is there because releng folks liked the notices about things and it
allowed releng to react faster to things like failed composes, etc.

So, likely we don't want to keep running the fedmsg-irc instances
forver, but of course we can keep them going for a while.

Options then would be:

A) Just stop the service and let people figure out their own
alternatives.

B) Add something to do this to the FMN re-write (ie, have a way to
configure a channel/room instead of a user)? (Ideally a matrix thing not
a IRC thing)

C) Retire the service, but write something based on fedora-messaging
that interested folks could use to self service do the same thing.
(Also ideally a matrix thing)

D) Your idea here.

Thoughts everyone?

kevin