Re: Email replies to src.fpo notifications

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 08:13:23PM -0000, Frank R Dana Jr. wrote:
> Recently, after receiving an email notification regarding a pull request at src.fedoraproject.org, I attempted[1] to update the discussion via email reply to the notification email.
>
> That attempt was not successful. Moreover, I was only made AWARE that the attempt was  unsuccessful 24 hours later, when Google's MTA responded with an undeliverable notification saying that it couldn't contact the recipient email, pagure@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
>
> If email reply to src.fpo notifications is supposed to be working, it's not. If it's INTENDED  not to be working, then perhaps the reply address for notifications could be set to something that bounces immediately (donotreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or similar, perhaps?), rather than an address at a non-responsive hostname that's subject to lengthy timeouts before the status of the attempted reply is updated?

So, I am not sure what was intended long ago, but to my understanding
it's never worked, nor was it setup to work.

We could do either thing here now however, we could make it work or as
you say send it to a no reply address.

I'm inclined to do the second one. In order to make it work we would
have to allow unrestricted smtp into the pkgs machine, which seems like
a poor idea for one of our most secure machines. ;(

I'll wait and see what other opinions folks have, but I am leaning
toward just making sure it's not working and it's more obvious that it's
not.

kevin