Re: Building VM images for Copr builders

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 12:19 PM Pavel Raiskup <praiskup@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello infra!
>
> Currently, in Copr team we are periodically preparing those kinds of images for
> our VM builders:
>
> - x86_64 AMI image for AWS
> - aarch64 AMI
> - x86_64 image for hypervisors
> - ppc64le qcow2 image (uploaded to Power9 OpenStack and to our Power8 hypervisors)
> - s390x qcow2 (built in IBM Cloud)
> - internally we build also x86_64 images for OpenStack
>
> The way we do this now is pretty complicated:
>
> - we start with the officially provided Fedora images (AMI/QCOW2)
> - we modify and update them using ansible scripts and/or libguestfs
> - then the images are uploaded, and tested in our development stack
> - and if everything is OK, then these images are used in production
>
> Some more info https://docs.pagure.org/copr.copr/how_to_upgrade_builders.html
>
> This is a tedious and repetitive list of tasks, and I'm sure we
> should/could automatize some parts.  At least it would be awesome if we
> could try to trigger the build(s) for all the images by "a single button",
> somehow, somewhere...  So I am here to ask you how you would do this.
>
> - I thought the answer is Image Builder, but there's a missing support for
>   Fedora ppc64le and s390x targets for now (rhbz#2040685).
>
> - livemedia-creator, seems to be a bit related to Image Builder but I was told
>   some time ago that AMI support is experimental, the docs say
>   "At this time I have not tested the image with EC2. Feedback would be
>   welcome."
>
> - There's a Packer software (packer.io) used by testing farm folks (the tooling
>   is not available in Fedora yet).
>
> - Koji is able to build some images using Kickstarts.  This one looks like
>   low-hanging fruit.  Existing and working solution, we could built on top of
>   of the maintained fedora-kickstarts files that we "use" anyway (through the
>   pre-built official images).  But I'm not sure if our team could be allowed to
>   use Koji like this, and provide additional *ks files?
>
> Are there any other possibilities?  Opinions?

The kiwi image builder would be another option. The Fedora Cloud and
CentOS Hyperscale teams are exploring using it for images, and we've
been collaborating with the Koji folks on kiwi support. Also, at work
I'm doing stuff with kiwi for our cloud images, and I'd be happy to
help teach y'all how to use kiwi for building images for all of your
platforms.

It's packaged in Fedora and EPEL, so it's easy to get and use.