Re: Sourcegraph and exploded sources

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 11:20:02AM -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 03:04:18PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > I mentioned on devel list that Sourcegraph is going to be indexing
> > source.fedoraproject.org.
> You mean src.fedoraproject.org ? :)

Yessss.

In fact, check this out:

https://sourcegraph.com/search?q=context:global+r:src.fedoraproject.org+file:.*%5C.spec%24+&patternType=literal

Not so many packages there yet, but proof of concept is there.

> > But then, I'd actually like to go a step further, and have them index _the
> > actual source for every build_. They're open to doing that, but what they
> > need is a git repo.
> ok. I assume they want us to give them one, they don't/can't/aren't able
> to do any work on their end?

They're doing some work on their end -- like using the pagure api to get a
list of RPM repos.

> And you want the source of the actual build with all patches and
> changes? Or upstream and the patches and changes seperately?

I think the most useful thing is the source as we build it.

[snipping some thigns already covered by smooge]

> Also unpacked sources could be... very large.

I'm told that there isn't currently a limit but there might be in the
future. Since it's exteral and the worst consequence might be "oops we'll
just delete that then", I'm inclined to not let this block. :)

> Additionally, this would only mean packages built recently would be
> searchable? until the next mass rebuild anyhow...

Yeah. Until then. :)

> There's a sig that has been working on this very issue. I would vastly
> prefer we do something that every buys into for normal workflow.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Source-git

Well, sort of? That's about going from source in version control to package;
this is about indexing the source of builds regardless of how they got
there. I think indexing those trees is _also_ interesting, and will be
*very* interesting once we get 100% of packages working that way.

> It may also be very worth looking at the debugsource packages if they
> can unpack/search those? Or perhaps we could use those to populate the
> git repos.

Those are just source files for compiled code, though, right? Not the whole
build tree?

> Anyhow, we can try and figure something out here... it would be great to
> have things searchable.

Yeah, my current idea is to have a separate process watch for successful
non-scratch builds and do it from there.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>