Re: Freeze break request: disable fedmsg-irc bots in most channels

Sounds good to me +1, I would just give a short wait period
before doing it to give people a chance to let us know if they
would like to keep any of the bots.

Mark

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 10:13 PM Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am ok with this. +1

On Thu, 23 Sept 2021 at 17:09, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Currently, the fedmsg-irc role connects a number of IRC bots to
> libera.chat IRC. (Usually 2 per channel, one for production and one for
> staging). These bots then send fedmsgs that match a specific regex to
> the channel they are in.
>
> As part of setting up matrix rooms and bridging them to IRC, we have
> realized how noisy these bots tend to be. In almost all cases the
> tickets/message/event is sent to people who care about it via email or
> personal FMN notification, so the message in the channel is just noise.
>
> Additionally, these fedmsg-irc bots don't have a ton of flexability in
> what they match on, for example if you say 'perhaps we should add a
> badge for this' in a ticket, it will then forever notify the
> #fedora-badges channel about any changes to that ticket.
>
> Additionally, fedmsg-irc is python2 and tied to fedmsg (not
> fedora-messaging). If we can get rid of all use of them that saves us
> some replacement costs.
>
> So, I would like to drop all these bots, except for #fedora-fedmsg and
> #fedora-fedmsg-stg. I personally think those channels are useful as you
> can watch the bus flow and tell things about it's health and see overall
> changes you might not otherwise notice. They might be replaceable by a
> more simple bot someday.
>
> Of course there may be some use case I am not seeing here, so if you
> _DO_ want these messages in your channel/room still, please tell us!
> Or if there's some other set of messages that would be of use that would
> be good to know too, so we could take it into account when/if we work on
> a matrix bot.
>
> Affected channels:
>
> #fedora-admin
> #fedora-commops
> #fedora-python
> #fedora-releng
> #fedora-latam
> #fedora-g11n
> #ipsilon
> #pagure
> #fedora-design
> #fedora-docs
> #fedora-websites
> #fedora-mktg
> #fedora-modularity-bots
> #fedora-diversity
> #fedora-magazine
> #fedora-rust
> #rit-foss
> #fedora-workstation
> #koji
> #fedora-join
> #fedora-neuro
> #fedora-badges
> #centos-ci
> #fedora-podcast
>
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/ansible/pull-request/811 is the PR with
> the changes.
>
> kevin

Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in
sci.astro.orion. I have seen SPAM filters overload because of Godwin's
Law. All those moments will be lost in time... like posts on a BBS...
time to shutdown -h now.