Re: Fedora Badges -- broader questions

On Thu 2 Sep 2021, 02:30 Matthew Miller, <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 01, 2021 at 12:41:30PM +1000, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> > Hey all! I blame infinitely-long Covid-times for this lapse in memory. I
> > know there was an investigation into moving Fedora Badges to Badgr. Where
> > did that lead?
>
> Did not know about this investigation -- but after poking around
> badges these past weeks (related to the datanommer work), it appears
> there was some work done to convert to badgr apis done this time last
> year in fedbadges (the backend):
>
> https://github.com/fedora-infra/fedbadges/commits/develop

Okay, thanks -- so it looks like Snehal is probably who I should talk to.

I was looking a little bit at Badgr, and one of my concerns is that it's
open core, with a lot of functionality we need (SSO, qr codes, mass
awarding) and some we really want (pathways) as the proprietary parts. If we
have to implement those ourselves, that means we'd be on a constant fork
(possibly one regarded as hostile). And at that point, that might be as much
or more work than reviving Tahrir.

Marie pointed me to another possibility, BadgeOS.

https://badgeos.org/

This is a wordpress plugin and meant for wordpress-based sites, but,
hey, we already have some wordpress, and we might be able to adapt it. We'll
still need a custom plugin for the actual fedora messaging and fas stuff,
and possibly other things I have no idea about.

FAS aside as that's mandatory let's look at what we have and what we can move to. The current Fedora messaging integration relates really heavily to "capture all the things" and then award Badges. I'm wondering how valuable and incentive driven that is given many Badges are passively earned. With a new system its a new chance to reimagine what a Badge should be awarded for. That might give flexibility and not a hard coupling at a system level to Fedora Messaging. Could the levels be inferred from another app and awarded even manually once a time period for example

They are also a "core features free" business model, but they tell me ther
"premium" addons are actually all open source under the AGPL. So that's a
lot more appealing to start, and I think we could get some budget here to
have _their_ team worrying about those plugins for us while we worry about
the Fedora-specific stuff.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>