Re: DNS patch to rename ocp4 clusters, and revert vhmost-ocp changes

On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 04:53, David Kirwan <dkirwan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The previous changes to those management hosts, were a name change so I think we should probably leave those as they where so they are still accessible on the management network. The hosts themselves are older hardware Kevin was suggesting that we might throw out or retire soon.
>
> Think the idea is instead of using those, is to use the existing vmhost-x86-05/06/07/11 staging as all free capacity/newer boxes.

OK as long as the hosts ping/respond on that network, they should have
ip addresses in DNS. Otherwise the following happens:
1. We try to use those ips for a new box and both systems go dead.
[That usually needs someone to go onto the hardware via a KVM and
fix.]
2. We get a scan/audit from RH and they want to know what hardware is
on that address and is it an attacker/etc.
3. The box gets turned off and then comes back on somehow. Then we may
have an ip conflict.

So until the hardware is physically removed from the racks.. keep its
mgmt ip in DNS. Maybe change the name to oldhost or retired .. but
keep it there until then.