Re: otp resets

> So technically you can have something like:
> - create OTP token and mark it disabled
> - show OTP token configuration details to a user
> - ask user for this token validation: enter a password and a value
> - enable token
> - verify token
> - if verification fails, disable the token again

Some of the "I'm locked out please disable my token" emails I've seen
mention their browser crashing while displaying the token (I suppose
it's not easy to enroll a token on your phone if you're viewing the
page on your phone too, switching app can easily kill background apps
on phones). In that case we wouldn't get a chance to disable the token
after a failed validation. I would prefer not enabling a token until
it's been verified, but if I don't find a way I'll try that, thanks
for the suggestion.

> > Again, there is no API in IPA to do that. Christian suggested a
> > workaround where we could use a HOTP token to get a similar result,
> > however the user would still need to enroll the hotp token, so if they
> > can't enroll their TOTP or if it fails, there's little chance
> > enrolling the HOTP token will not fail as well.
>
> You can enroll that token automatically and disable it.

Could you explain a bit more how that would work for users? I'm not
getting how a HOTP token could be used for recovery codes.

Thanks for your input!

Aurélien