Re: Postgresql server in aws.f.o

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 at 12:00, Miroslav Suchý <msuchy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi.
In Copr we use postgresql on copr-frontend. I decide that it is time to split it off to separate server. I am going to
create new machine in AWS and deploy postgresql there. I have several open questions:

  * is there interest in having it as general sql server in AWS datacenter for some other fedora-infra projects? Or
should I not bother about it and just keep it for Copr?

I would keep it just for COPR. I think we would prefer to have all our databases be a single server for auditing, cleanup and downtime. Having combined postgreses like db01/db03 have been nothing but a pain. We have no DBA in our group so tuning and such for different needs is not something we know how to do correctly versus caveman hack style.

  * I plan to reuse roles/postgresql_server for that - any issue with this?

  * if the server will be open for other Fedora project (first question) should I amend
playbooks/groups/postgresql-server.yml or should I rather create new playbook?

  * I would love to run the server on RHEL 8. That should be completely fine according to
   https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/extending-no-cost-red-hat-enterprise-linux-open-source-organizations
   do we have stored somewhere role or credentials which configure subscription-manager?

No we are not using this program. The various CentOS/Fedora/etc organizations come under different legal parameters because we are not 'independent' of Red Hat.

  * I plan to use arm64 for that server - mostly because I can and it can be fun :) (and it is a bit cheaper) -  any
issue with this?

And another reason why it should be just for your server :).. you can run what you want and need versus worry what anyone else wants.

--
Miroslav Suchy, RHCA
Red Hat, Associate Manager, Community Packaging Tools, #brno, #fedora-buildsys

Stephen J Smoogen.